Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:13:12 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Base packaging

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 02:02, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Why would you want to package sbin?  Where do you see this work going?
> What problems do you think this will solve?  Doing things a top level
> directory at a time isn't very interesting, but since it looks like a
> demo, perhaps you could sketch out what the polishing you'd envision.

Well, as I mentioned in a followup. I'm actually doing this work so that
I can use the system mk files for our product development, but I also
wanted to be able to registered all the installed files from our
products in the pkg db too. Having tried parallel trees, and hacking the
ports mk files to get our code directly out of CVS and various other
attempts eventually I found out that it's quite easy to link the two
together, so that's what I did. So that's the problem it solves :-)

I only chose sbin as a demo, you can put the PORTNAME entry in any
Makefile and the granularity of the package it creates is going to be
based on the content of the pkg-plist and not where in the tree the
Makefile is. I'll reply to your other mail with specific points.

Paul.