Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:10:58 +0800
From:      Ihsan Junaidi <freebsd@synthexp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Migrating 5.2 from Pentium 4 to Athlon MP

Hello all,

I have a server currently running on a Pentium 4 box. Yesterday I bought
an AMD 762 MPX chipset to go with two Athlon MP 2000+. The production
server is running FreeBSD 5.2, a GENERIC with additional SCSI/RAID
controllers trimmed off.

The kernel and all of the userland + ports were built with -march=p4
flags and I am wondering if there's any way I can just plug the disk
into the Athlon box without rebuilding everything with the exception of
the world+kernel. FYI, the kernel is SMP-aware.

How does the -march flag effect the userland programs? I am aware that
only OpenSSL is capable of taking advantage of specific CPU instructions
but other than that?

Thank you for your time,
Ihsan