Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:39:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Lloyd Rennie <lloyd@vbc.net>
To:        Wim Livens <livensw@rc.bel.alcatel.be>
Cc:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Understanding ifconfig output

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Wim Livens wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 11:35:04AM -0000, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> > Here's some sample output from one of my machines (3.4-stable) which
> > has an Intel EEPro 100 attached to a Bay 350 switch
> >
> > fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> > <ip address deleted>
> > ether 00:90:27:8d:49:7b
> > media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is the info you want---^
>
> I don't know what SIMPLEX means, I use the same card in 100Mb
> full-duplex and get similar output.

Same here.  The media autoselects FD, but still the simplex flag is set.
*shrug*

> What is the recommended way to determine link speed from a machine to
> a hub/switch. (e.g A colo provider claims that there is 100 Mbit card
> in the box and one would want to verify that)

A fairly foolproof method is to make sure there's a fair amount of traffic
running in both directions, then do a 'netstat -I fxp0 -w1'.  Watch the
collisions - if you see any then it's not FD.

--
Lloyd Rennie                   VBCnet GB Ltd	             lloyd@vbc.net
tel +44 (0) 117 929 1316    http://www.vbc.net    fax +44 (0) 117 927 2015