Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 17:46:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MWave modem on Vaio R505EC?

> I have a Vaio R505EC and I'm trying to get the built-in mwave modem to
> work with the mwave loadable module port.  The port claims to be for the
> Thinkpads in particular, but I suppose it should work with any mwave
> modem.

> When the module is loaded, dmesg tells me this:
>
> mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
> smapi::smapi_init, ERROR invalid usSmapiID
> tp3780i::Initialize SMAPI is not available on this machine
> Mwave Modem, ERROR cannot Initialize DSP error 5
> device_probe_and_attach: mwave0 attach returned 5
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

Any ideas?
Ben,

Wow! I never realized that Sony (or anybody other than IBM) used that
DSP.

This looks like a BIOS problem. The BIOS must be configured to have
the DSP and the serial device configured. On the IBM, this means that
the internal modem requires that two IRQs (normally 3 and 10) be
assigned in BIOS. The first is the DSP, normally at 10, and the second
is the aerial pseudo-device, normally 3. The mWave driver attempts to
get the IRQ values from BIOS, so other values can probably be used,
but they MUST be assigned in BIOS as that s the only way the deriver
can find them. There is no mechanism to specify them.

Make sure that you are not using either IRQ for some other device in
either FreeBSD or in BIOS.

Let me know if you can get it to work.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)