Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 17:03:00 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        Olaf Zaplinski <olaf@nichols.de>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: a non-newbies question

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Linux since kernel 0.99pl15 and also have worked with Sinix
> (Siemens commercial U*ix version).
>
> Today I got me FreeBSD 4.0.
>
> For 2 hours now I cannot get the machine to work in my internal network. All
> I want to tell it is:
>
> - this is your address: 192.168.0.22/24
> - this is your default gateway: 192.168.0.15
> - this is your DNS server to ask: 192.168.0.15

If it were my system, I'd just run /stand/sysinstall, select "post install
configuration", and select "network configuration".

A more general answer:  almost all configurable stuff is set in
/etc/rc.conf.  The defaults are in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, so you can read
it to find out what things you can change.  DO NOT make the mistake of
copying the default file to /etc/rc.conf -- it has some extra commands in
it that will break things.

To solve your immediate problem without using sysinstall:

Edit rc.conf:

network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0" (can possibly be left at the default, "auto")
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.0.22  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.15"
hostname="yourhostname.your.domain.name"

The nameserver is set in /etc/resolv.conf:

domain           your.domain.name
nameserver     192.168.0.15

!!!
This REALLY should have been configured automatically during the install
process. What did you do to keep it from happening?  In other words, how
did you install FreeBSD?

If you didn't use the proper install procedure, you can expect to have
other configuration problems, so you should probably take that question
seriously.

[...]

>BTW, I could tell the machine its IP address manually - by
>reading/etc/rc.network and creating /etc/start_if.fxp0... that is too much
>for me. Then I booted a Linux machine and installed /etc/route.conf
>accordingly - the machine ignores it...

/etc/start_if.... seems to be a leftover from an older method, probably for
backwards compatibility to help people who upgrade.   You can ignore it,
at least for now.  If you dug that deep, you should have seen the comment at
the beginning of rc.network that told you that you should be looking at
rc.conf:

 # Note that almost all the user-configurable behavior is no longer in
 # this file, but rather in /etc/rc.conf.  Please check that file

> If that's FreeBSD then there's no wonder that there is that big Linux
>hype
> all around... (sorry folks, but I'm veeery frustraded right now).

I suspect you got into this mess by taking a shortcut that didn't work.
Don't expect FreeBSD to act like Linux.  It isn't Linux -- it is far
superior to any Linux distribution I've ever used, and it's worth learning.

  - Bob