Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:44:26 +0200
From:      "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Future of SAMBA on FreeBSD
References:  <e1c72d2dea66d367956e62edf7bec052.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca> <CA%2BtpaK1UEtvyeRYSSLaOPoHb=Nmy4omDiyCvSdDtw-iKvsRYyw@mail.gmail.com> <f6ba7e46e75e497460793205e261851a.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca> <CA%2BtpaK2B-50-DSP0RNUGkzMZKoqBBMj08dHCWEs2sSQXQ_d-_Q@mail.gmail.com> <411eb82456c15c41763909673a63208b.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca> <CA%2BtpaK2GCNGZ6NrFOmPA0UP6hLjPOtVp9awL2ATvnL00O8twsA@mail.gmail.com> <485a5756-ca36-bba6-62c8-c76022b05452@netfence.it>

Hi all!

Sorry I didn't reply to this thread before, there are too many public
channels where Samba and FreeBSD are both discussed, so it's almost
impossible to follow all of them. If you want to get the definite answer -
please add me to the CC list.

Problems with the DC provisioning are around for quite a while, due to
various configurations as well as because both samba and FreeBSD are moving
targets and code is changing rapidly in both upstreams.

The particular raised problem is created by the "fix" in the
https://github.com/samba-team/samba/commit/738797d8ad6908de457786cc948dcde151e2b9e1,
which, possibly, made things work better with the MacOSX, but entirely
broke DC provisioning in Samba 4.6 on FreeBSD.

I'm working on the appropriate fix for this problem, which would allow
having both DC provisioning and Time Machine working properly on FreeBSD,
but as such fix, possibly, will affect the way how particular extended
attributes are stored on a file system, I feel it's not safe to bring such
changes into 4.6 branch and targeting just released 4.7 for it.

There is another long standing issue with the DC provisioning onto ZFS-only
installations, where you had to create special volume with the UFS to get
things work properly. This issue was fixed by John Hixon from the iXsystems
Inc. in the custom version of Samba on the FreeNAS/TrueNAS and from the
kind permission of the iXsystems this work will be ported into the FreeBSD
ports.

With best regards,
Timur Bakeyev,
sponsored by iXsystems Inc.