Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 19:55:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: minor change to ls -l

As Garrett A. Wollman wrote:

> > What do people think about the following change to the behaviour of
> > ls -l?
>

> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   70, 536870912 Aug 19 14:44 /dev/rod0.ctl
>
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   70, 0x20000000 Aug 19 14:44 /dev/rod0.ctl
>
> I suspect it probably breaks some standard or another...

Posix.2 says:

 If the file is a character special or block special file, the size of the
 file may be replaced with implementation-defined information associated
 with the device in question.

...and after all, i've taken the idea from HP/UX, though i decided to
keep the minor number in decimal if it's ``small enough'', so that the
previous behaviour is retained for most of the entries.  By now, two
people complained about this being inconsistent.  In case this is the
general opinion, we could convert it to always print the minor # in
hex, of course.

--
cheers, J"org