Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:58:26 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: preventing MSP3400C resets on Hauppauge cards

Juha Nurmela wrote:

> Aren't You forgetting that the audio, albeit just mono,
> is also available directly from the tuner module ?
> It won't beat nicam, but...

Here is the details on the Hauppuage audio.

The Hauppauge cards have an Audio Mux which selects between
the various sound sources. (TV, Line In, FM Radio)

There are 3 Models of Hauppauge card
1) basic mono audio only
2) nicam stereo audio using msp34xx chip (in the USA there is a dbx
version)
3) nicam stereo AND FM Radio.

On type 1, you get mono sound directly from the tuner

On type 2, you only get sound from the MSP34xx chip. There is no route
from the tuner's
mono audio output to the audio mux. You cannot bypass the MSP34xx chip.
This is the problem. There is no MSP34xx bypass.

On type 3 card you get Stereo TV from the MSP34xx chip, You can also get
audio direct
from the tuner (bypassing the MSP chip) for mono TV or FM radio.

The problem is the many type 2 card users with bt848 cards. They have a
classic MSP3400C.
Type 2 cards with bt878s (the new cards) have MSP3415 chips which we
support.

So, if you have a Hauppauge with FM RADIO, you can always get TV sound
via the radio
audio selector.

But type 2 card users have no way of bypassing the MSP34xx chip.
This has been confirmed both with a multi metre and with my 2 contacts
in the Hauppauge
design team.

Bye
Roger