Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 11:43:52 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk>
To:        Mark Stout <mcs@vpm.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Config error w/-current

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Mark Stout wrote:

> First, I've downloaded all of -current 'src' files.  I've backed up my
> original files so I can replace them if need be.  When I do a config <kernel>
> I get the following error:
>
>   Unknown % construct in generic makefile: %SFILES
>
> Looking at the Makefile.i386, I see %SFILES, along with some others.  Is this
> caused by some option I selected in my kernel config file?

Apparently you need to rebuild the config utility before you do anything
else.

> That may be beyond the scope of this mailing list, I don't know.

Yes, the freebsd-currrent list is the one you want.

> So, there you have it.  I definately *need* BSDI v2.0 compatibility and I'm
> only going to get that with -current.  So now you know why I need to get
> -current up and running.  Any help would be appreciated.

Unless you're really desperate for it, it might be better to wait until
things have settled down a bit and the first snapshot comes out.

I've thought a bit about getting involved with -current, but it looks like
a lot of work even getting started, not to mention the risk of running alpha
(or even pre-alpha) code on a machine that I need for other things, and I
don't really have the time (or the backups!) for it. Also I'm stuck with a
14.4k modem, on the wrong side of the Atlantic. One day, perhaps.

On the other hand, if you do have the time and the inclination, you
seem to know what you're letting yourself in for, so why not go for it!

Good luck
James

Segmentation fault (core dumped): cannot find file '.signature'