Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:11:04 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3Com Impact IQ ISDN T/A

I'm considering purchasing a 3Com Impact IQ external ISDN modem (terminal
adapter) and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience using this
product with FreeBSD?

Specifically:

    1.  How dependent is this modem on DOS/Windows? Can it be configured
from FreeBSD, or do I need to boot a DOS diskette and run the software that
comes with it? Can it be configured with AT-commands?

    2.  Will it run at 128K (both channels) under an operating system other
than DOS/Windows? (I've seen some questions here on the list about other
ISDN T/A's that only use one channel unless you're running Windows.)

    3.  How does it physically connect to the computer? Serial port (thus
limited to 115kbs)? Ethernet card? 3Com's web site is quiet on this issue.

    4.  If serial port, can you connect with user-ppp like a normal modem?
If Ethernet card, does it automatically dial when traffic is directed it's
way?

I know next to nothing about ISDN, so any enlightenment is much
appreciated...

TIA,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!