Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:33:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Virtual Bob <hey9811@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE list <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 2.2.7 available this weekend

> Things to deal with--it can run in 8meg RAM, supposedly, but if you
> install fresh, you need at least 20meg RAM for sysinstall to run.  I tried
> a buildworld on it just for fun last year, but gave up after it ran for
> several days.  I just run buildworld on a faster machine, then NFS mount
> and installworld on the '386.  It works fine like that, and it hasn't had
> any problems running 3-STABLE and 4-STABLE.

I got the odd-ball TI486/33 here... It's (soldered) on a 386SX-16
motherboard, which automatically limits it to 16MB RAM max.

I had no problem installing 3.2-R, and have TI486 chug through 3.5-S. I
believe I posted about this before -- it took about 4 or 5 days to build &
install world completely.

Doing it once was fun, but I have no more wish to doing it again any
time in the future. Now like you've said, I just buildworld on faster
machine and do NFS then installworld on that TI486.

The 'ol handbook says 3.2 (or 3.1? something...) can be run on 5MB RAM,
but bit more during install. My guess is 8MB RAM.

------------- clip here with virtual scissors --------------