Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 23:17:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can VSZ < RSS? Huh!? (fwd)

> >   I've "threatened" on more than one occasion to report the _actual_ amount
> >of allocated virtual memory, but got mixed reponses each time I've done that.
> >The current VSZ figure does not take into consideration mapped files other
> >than the executable. It also does not consider the "heap".

Are things like shared libraries taken into account here?  I probably need
to do some source code reading.  On one machine in particular I know have
around 16-20 simultaneous executions of uucico.  On another box I might
have a similar number of 'ftpd' or 'httpd' processes.

I would assume there is some code sharing which would skew the true figures
around :-)

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net