Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:00:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Peter Pinto <pinto@dss.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Ethernet

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Peter Pinto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think FreeBSD is great.  I'm new to Unix, and I've installed it on a
> Toshiba laptop - so I can play with it anywhere.
>
> I do have one problem, though.  I can't figure out how to get my Simple
> Technologies PCMCIA ethernet adapter working with the OS.

FreeBSD doesn't support this by default, but you might try the PAO
package, avaliable at http://www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO.  This is an excellent
PCCARD support system that has great docs and works very nicely.

> I've also installed on a Compaq Deskpro with a Compaq (no so intuitively
> built on the motherboard) NetFlex 3 adapter.  This card, also, appears
> not to work.

That I don't expect to work.  Compaq's tend to have proprietary (ie,
requires Winblows drivers) hardware, even the modems.