Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:21:17 +0200
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Wayne, Ken" <WAYNEK@SCHNEIDER.COM>
Subject:   Re: Replacing Exchange Server

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 12:32:00PM -0600, Wayne, Ken wrote:

> They queue my email for me and Exchange sends an ETRN command to
> retrieve mail from the queue periodically. I have about 15 email
> addresses, and the clients are outlook on Win '95.
hmm. I've setup mail servers based upon sendmail, exim (www.exim.org)
and qmail (www.qmail.org) in the past.
For simple setups like yours I found 'qmail' suitable, and easy to
maintain. 'fetchmail' (see ports-collection) supports the 'ETRN' way
of getting the mail. You may easily setup a cron job doing it.

> It would appear that SendMail could do what I want, but is this
sure.
> the best mail service (ease of use, support, features, etc...),
But security and maintainability concerns lead one to simply avoid
sendmail.

For more complex situations or a really 'volume-oriented' setup I
personally would jump into 'postfix'. (www.postfix.org)

Regards,
    Andreas

--
: TSE TeleService GmbH  :  Gsf: Arne Reuter        :                 :
: Hovestrasse 14        :       Andreas Braukmann  : We do it with   :