Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:16:51 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anybody seen this one ?

Pete French wrote:

> o.k., this is *very* odd.
>
> I am using the 4.2 rrelease Cd to install onto a machine. This machine
> installs 3.4 fine and is currently running it quite happily.
>
> Under 3.3 I boot from two floppies, get the screen which allows me to
> configure the kernel, then it boots into the nice blue screen from
> sysinstall. All well and good.
>
> Under 4.2 I boot from the two floppies and the screen to allow kernel
> configs never appears - the system runs saright into the boot, starts up
> sysinstall... and at this point appears to freeze. Or at least I can get no
> response from the keyboard !
>
> Anybody seen anything liek this, or have any suggestions as to how to get
> round it ? I've taken as much of the hardware out as I feasibly can, and
> an identical motherboard appears to work fine.. Hmmmm...

Yes I have seen this happen... Its not that the computer is frozen its that
the keyboard driver cant load because of a conflict, strange I know, but if
you look at the messages that scroll past when its loading into sysinstall you
will see the keyboard driver isnt loading...

You can fix this by tweaking some bios settings... I cant remember exactly what
I changed to fix that, but try setting PnP OS to NO and reset the ESCD data...
If that doesnt work disable things you dont need, like USB and the like...
I have had problems twice with USB causing a conflict with something else on
different systems...

Good Luck, Hope this helps!
Kal.