Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:04:26 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@freebsd.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

At 14:15 10.03.00 -0600, you wrote:

>FreeBSD won't be dead until they pry the source code from our cold dead
>fingers :-)
>
>There are a lot of hardware companies that had invested substantially in
>BSD 4.3 knockoffs and Mach kernel knockoffs.  The natural upgrade path for
>those development efforts is a commercialized version of FreeBSD (imho).
>
>There are a lot of sites that are still using BSD variants that have refused
>to upgrade to the more favored SYSV knockoffs, the natural upgrade path for
>those is a commercialized version of FreeBSD (imho).
>
>There are hardware vendors with very high end multi-processor configurations
>with boo-quoo memory etc.  A natural upgrade path for those vendors (when they
>finally give up on their own "way-behind-the-curve" unix variant) is to move
>towards a commercialized version for FreeBSD (imho).  They may try Linux, but
>is Linux "high-end-performance-ready"?
Hi!

Well,  there is Turbolinux, which claims to do that. Also there are some
projects in clustering. SuSe is selling some clusters already (got to see a
small version of that at Cebit)

Also, those very big installations use some kind of  special Unix spinoff,
something like IRIX, sold for specialized hardware, and paying big $$ for.

Yes, it is a big chance to get rid of the reputation as being without
support, which is very important to the industry.
Well, when you can do things yourself, then its ok (Meaning that they have
qualified personnel already). But when you can't, and especially smaller
businesses cannot, then you have to pay somebody else to do that. ANd thats
the point, then they ask what is when some problem occurs. A company like
M$ or Sun can be sued at least, at least you can point in one direction and
say: Hey, I paid money for that, and you have to fix those bugs and help me
install the OS, if somethings goes wrong.

Thats the things FreeBSD lacked a bit in the past. And if they see only
some small companies offering support on their own as consultants, they
decide otherwise.

There is a saying: Nobody ever gets blamed for choosing IBM.

Thus meaning: If you do what everybody else does, its alright. If you buy
Windows, you know about the problems with it, but as everybody uses it, its
common practice.

But if you stray from mainstream, you get hit very quick if something
hickups or even seems as it might like to hickup in the next few hours...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

P.S:lets take this to -chat

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)