Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:42:21 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nathan@vidican.com>
To:        Peo Nilsson <per-olof.nilsson@comhem.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

Peo Nilsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 08:56 -0600, Chris wrote:
>
>> At this point - I feel you have a failed install and or broken FBSD. The
>> WD 80 gig drive should be of zero issue. I use 2 WD SATA 80 gigger w/out
>> issues.
>> If your drive is partitioned correctly - GAG will and does boot it well.
>>
> I downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 BETA-3 and installed it. It works!!!
> Now I only wonder what was wrong with the 6.1 Release I couldn´t get to
> boot.
> There was nothing wrong with disk/partitioning, GRUB boot loader or
> anything else with my dual boot setup. I already knew that because I´ve
> been dual booting before (last FreeBSD was 5.2).
> Anyway....I´m smiling again...:-)
>

>> As mentioned many times in this list, seek the handbook for dual booting.
>>
> I did that, but there was nothing I didn´t already know.
>

> Next I will download FreeBSD 6.1 Release again, this time from another
> mirror than the first time. This to find out if there´s something wrong
> with
> the one I first downloaded from ftp.sunet,se.
>
> Thanks for the help!

man md5 ....

All mirrors contain the same files. Errors do however occur, and the
possibility of a bad download does exist (hey - it's not a perfect
world). That's what MD5 checksums are for; to verify that the file you
downloaded matches that you were expecting to... all the ISO images
afaik have MD5 checksums (see:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/6.2/CHECKSUM.MD5
or mirror). Simply check the file for consistency before you use it -
really, this is a habit you should get used to.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican@wmptl.com