Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 00:40:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@phantasma.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
Cc:        jbrann@panix.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Conner CFP1080S - bad drive??

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> I am using an Adaptec 2940W (same as you?) and I have 4 other drives
> none of which have problems (dat/cdrom/jaz/quantum hd).  Removing the
> conner solves all problems.  Add it back and I have problems again.
> I've checked with adaptec and I do have their latest BIOS.

	If you have a few bucks you can spend, go out and get a
cheap PCI controller and put the Connor on its own bus in the same
machine.  That was what I needed up doing when I started suspecting
hard drives.  Move the suspicious one to a seperate bus, and if it
*still* gives problems, it becomes easier to narrow down.

	In my case, I moved my Connor drives to one bus and my Quantum
to the other, and when the bus with the connor drives on it locked up,
I had a pretty good idea that it was one of the two Connor drives that
was shot...got rid of the bad one of those (which is currently in its
own machine...) and the machine has been running reasonably quiet
since *knock on wood*

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org