Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:45:07 -0500
From:      leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   emacs ques and a ports ques.

I got the error mess. when I tried to start emacs:

 /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: shared object "libXaw.so.6" not found

Someone in the ques. mailgroup
said emacs is looking for an X-window lib. But,
I have not installed X and will not for a time.
I thought emacs like vi was "text based". why do
I need X to start it?

The suggestion was made (since I installed from packages),
was to install emacs from the ports. I have never installed
a prog. from ports. Ques: I installed a the port durring
my FreeBSD install. Does that mean I don't have to
download anything and thus could make emacs from what I
already have on my local hd?

If i have to download "whatever" to install using the ports
how long would it take w/56 modem?

Or, could I load an x component or lib from packages
to get emacs to start?

Thanks