Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 06:23:44 PST
From:      dlombardo@excite.com
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   ES1868 sound fades away

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.8-stable; it finds the card
(PnP ES1868), which calls itself pcm1.  When I start
playing my favourite mp3 (mpg123), it's almost
inaudible, and I have to increase the master volume
using e.g. xmix.  For about 1 second, the sound is
perfect, whereupon it starts fading out to that
initial inaudible level.  The only way to keep the
volume up is to continuously move the sliding bar in
xmix up and down (slightly).  I've tried using
various settings for DMA channels (e.g. the default
0&5, also 1&5, 0&3, 1&3, etc.) all to no avail.

Maybe someone can fill me in on what's going on
inside the driver... it seems to be working (and
working well at that); however not being able to
maintain a constant volume level.

I also tried downloading the latest ESS snd sources
from www.jp.freebsd.org (the exact link location is
in /xperimnt/ESS) - the result is the same.

Please help if you can

Thanks

Dean