Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:01:20 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project idea: Put PVM in /usr/bin/make

In message <20020121083652.A1496@Odin.AC.HMC.Edu>, Brooks Davis writes:
>On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 12:32:04PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> /usr/bin/make already have hooks for remote execution of jobs when
>> running parallel.  All that is missing before we can do distributed
>> parallel make worlds is that somebody writes the necessary hooks
>> based on PVM...
>>=20
>> This is a really simple task, and the best of it all is that one
>> does not need a cluster of machines to test it:  Using jail(8) you
>> can run a PVM cluster of any size on one machine.
>
>I'm all for parallel makes, but I don't think this is the right
>approach.  The problem with doing this directly on PVM is that PVM is a
>message passing system.  This is find if you are the only user of the
>cluster, but if it's shared (the normal case) you need a schedular.  A
>better approach would be to allow make to tie into a POSIX batch
>queueing framework.  Since the syntax is pretty similar, you could
>probably support both Sun Grid Engine and PBS fairly easily.  As proof
>that this can work, SGE ships with a parallel make.

Well, you may think so, but while I wait for this Rolls-Royce you
describe, I'll be perfectly content to upgrade my bike to a cheap
japanese compact car...

Adding PVM to /usr/bin/make is a simple task, less than 1000 lines of
code.

What you suggest is not going to happen in any of the next couple of
years unless $BIGCORP pays somebody to do it.

My suggestion consequently still stands:  Please someone, add PVM
to /usr/bin/make.

Poul-Henning

PS: you have no idea how I hate the "AAAAAAHHHH! what you propose will
not be perfect so DO NOT DO IT!" attitude around here...