Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:48:27 -0700
From:      Tom McCurdie <tbm@accom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mtools configuration

I recently upgraded my PC from FreeBSD 2.1 to 2.1.5 and my mtools
(mdir, mcopy, etc.) stopped working.  It was complaining about
"Input/output error", and "Can't init A:".  After reading all
the documentation I could find, I tried editing my mtools.conf
file, and changed the device name to /dev/fd0.1440 and it began
to work.  In order to make it work for different capacity floppies
I have added another description for A: which specifies /dev/fd0.720
as the device.  This seems to work now, although I get errors
(which the man page for mtools says I can safely ignore) for each
device specification which is not applicable.

My question is:  Did I do the right thing?

If so, you might want to update the documentation to indicate that
this file may need to be edited.  It seems that the mtools.conf
(it is in /usr/local/etc on my system) is a new feature of
mtools-3.0, as I can't find it on a system running the version
included with the FreeBSD 2.1 packages.

Tom McCurdie
Accom, Inc.
tom@accom.com