Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:20:10 +0200
From:      Martin Brecher <listuser@mb-itconsulting.com>
To:        Denis Troshin <weiv@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

First off, let me say that FreeBSD is one of the cleanest systems out
there as the developers try to remove bigger packages from the base
system instead of adding more bloat every release. One example would be
the removal of perl from the base distribution in 5.x.

As for perl and the other scripting languages, the actual scripts are
often very small because developers don't need to reinvent the wheel
everytime but instead make use of the huge repository of existing
classes and libraries. On Windows for example most software packages
include their own dependencies. I have seen applications installing
their own scripting environments, even their own Java VMs - apart from a
dozen of dlls...

If you want to develop graphical applications, let me recommend you to
take a look at the GNUstep project (http://www.gnustep.org). It provides
a complete and clean API but is very small in comparison to the likes of
KDE/Qt or GNOME.

Greetings,
Martin