Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:57:08 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

At 10:53 PM -0600 4/3/02, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
>
>>  On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:31:20PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>>  > Far more sweeping changes have been made to -stable in the past.
>>
>  > Of course.  But this particular change is gratuitous.  Do not merge
>  > it to -STABLE, please.  Instead, wait for 4.6.  What's the hurry?
>  > --
>  > Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>      http://www.nectar.cc/
>
>As we have a RELENG_4_5 branch, I see no reason that I should
>hold off on the change.  It's mostly unimportant, not gratuitous.

I agree that if this change is going to go into stable at all,
then now is probably as good a time as any.

What I don't see is why this must be made to -stable at all.
What would be the consequences if we simply left RELENG_4
with the same port-range that it's always had?  Note that
this is not a complaint on my part, it is only a request for
more information.

In a different message, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>Far more sweeping changes have been made to -stable in the past.
>If someone does experience failing outbound connections, I'm
>sure they can re-read UPDATING, ask on a mailing list, or just

Chances are pretty good that they would not notice any such
problems until after they have done the "installworld" step,
and thus it is not necessarily a simple matter to "just go
back" to their previous kernel.

We have made far more sweeping changes in the past.  We had
reasons for doing those changes when we did them.  I would
feel a little better about making this change to -stable if
we knew what important (time-critical) issue that it was
fixing.