Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 15:05:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Justin Ashworth <ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu>
To:        "Charles J. Cohen" <ccohen@cybernet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting more colors

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Charles J. Cohen wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have FreeBSD on my PC, and I am very pleased.  However, when I try
> to view an image, it looks like the image is lacking depth or shade, as
> if it only has 16 colors. Can you tell me how to up the number of
> colors my monitor can handle?

  I believe you're asking how to start X with different bit depths? X
defaults to 8-bit mode (256 colors). You can start X in 16-bit mode
(65,536 colors) with the line 'startx -- -bpp 16'. You can change the
default resolution for 16 bpp mode in the /etc/XF86Config file.

Hope that helps!

- Justin J. Ashworth
-- CS Student - Montana State University
--- Chair, Association for Computing Machinery - MSU
-- ashworth@cs.montana.edu
- http://www.cs.montana.edu/~ashworth