Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:38:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        nicole@nmhtech.com, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very Interesting user of FreeBSD

In article <local.mail.freebsd-advocacy/XFMail.990405122330.nicole@nmhtech.com> you write:

> I found an interesting reference that I want to look deeper into but at
>http://bakeoff.ircache.net/bakeoff-01/ ( A Caching Server bakeoff)
> They have a nice link at the bottom for FreeBSD.
>
> Now what is most suprizing to me is at
>http://bakeoff.ircache.net/bakeoff-01/polyteam-pics/  (warning LARGE)
>3rd picture up from the bottom has a caption that reads "Glenn and Alex loading
>FreeBSD on the Novell cluster."

Hah.

Yes, both CAIDA and NLANR are using FreeBSD extensively, it's their
platform of choice for developing polygraph (the web proxy benchmark).
You might know them better as developers of the Squid proxy.

The bakeoff used approximately 80 machines as the "test harness" for
various vendor's proxies, and all 80 machines were running FreeBSD.

> So, Novell is using FreeBSD for their Caching Solution....??

No - "Novell powered by Dell" is a custom Novell system (which appears
to beat everything else at this particular bakeoff).  But then again, the
solution is not a general purpose OS, (as far as I can tell), so that's
to be expected.

Peregrine, on the other hand, _is_ running on a 3.1 box (with my
tweaks) and performs almost on a par with the Novell solution on
the same hardware.  Of course, we're running into a CPU bottleneck,
and they're running into a network bottleneck, so it's not exactly
a fair comparison.

I was talking to the Polyteam at the conference, and what they would
primarily like is for my changes to be folded into FBSD (which I should
submit for review sometime soon).  Also, they are still using 2.2.8
instead of 3.1, with one of the primary reasons being that the two-floppy
boot disk is a pain in the butt.

What was also somewhat humorous was that Glenn clipped the UserFriendly
strip (the one that says "I'm not a devil, I'm a daemon!") and put it
up on the notice board at the conference.
--
Jonathan