Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:08:51 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shudo@computer.org
Subject:   Re: Pre-compiled native JDK1.3.1

Greg Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:46:03PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > I wonder if anybody is working on creating pre-compiled native
> > JDK1.3.1 package. It would be nice if we could offer it with the
> > upcoming 4.5 release.
>
> The plan is to do this for 4.5, but the JDK must first pass the JCK to
> be legal under the licensing agreement.

I'm doubtful whether any Java 2 SDK can pass the JCK
(now called J2SE TCK?) until FreeBSD 4.5 is out.

Even two years ago, the JCK contains about 2500 of VM
tests and also 2500 of lang tests. Java 2 SDK forFreeBSD
will take a certain period of time to pass the tests.

Sun provided the JCK to the Blackdown Java-Linux porting
team in December 1998 or earlier and the team could
announce the availability of JDK 1.2 pre1 in March 1999.
The current situation of FreeBSD JDK may be better than it,
but the release of FBSD 4.5 is only a month away.

BTW, we'd appreciate all efforts on the release of a
binary of the JDK.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/