Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:26:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Jon Mercer" <jon.mercer@achean.com>
To:        "Volker Lieder" <v.lieder@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large Backup with Amanda

Volker,

When designing a backup strategy one of the most important considerations
will be recovery. You haven't described what that requirement is so you
should be careful of the answers you get!

Amanda backups can use a version of the GNU tar which can be used to
generate tar type backups if that is what you require.

If you don't have a requirement for generating tape indexes, etc. you
don't seem to get much benefit from using amanda to manage the write out
to tape. However, there is the matter of transporting the data between
backup servers for which amanda does seem to add some benefit.

This is not much of an answer, so I hope it helps you a little.

Regards,

Jon