Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:58:25 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some old fashioned assistance requested, and some oppinions wanted.

--==_Exmh_1161799105_19902P

> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 05:30:04 -0400
> From: "Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> addendum:
>
> How are the Lenovo notebooks, now that they are no longer associated
> with IBM whatsoever?

That is a very broad and probably invalid statement as IBM has a
presence on the Lenovo board and ThinkPad development is still being
done in the US (North Carolina) by pretty much the same group of
engineers. Of course, there are likely some strategic changes from
Lenovo in China that are impacting things.

The T60 Core Duo systems look pretty good, although they all come with
the dreaded 3945 wireless card. You can get am Athlon, but they are no
longer "standard" upgrades. You get the system either without wireless or
you replace the installed wireless card with the Atheros.

HDA audio seems to be working, but I have done no serious testing since
my laptop is an older T43 and the owner of the T60 does not use FreeBSD
on it.

The only REALLY new ThinkPad member is the Z series and I have no
experience with them.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)