Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:58:23 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Wency Arzadon <wency@juniper.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing over nfs

--==_Exmh_1717173135P

If memory serves me right, Wency Arzadon wrote:

> I've been installing freebsd44 with source tree I downloaded.
>
> I know the files are compress and tar.. My question is I'm trying to
> modify the source that gets installed especially src/etc/* files. I know
> this can be many ways, and i tried modifying src/setc.aa setc.inf, along
> with the files in ..src/etc, but its not working.
> I'm using boot floppies, kernel, mfsroot, install.cfg, but its not
> installing the files i want, any pointers.

First, this question belongs on freebsd-questions, not freebsd-stable.

If you're installing FreeBSD on a new machine, the files from the src
distribution are only needed or used if you want to recompile some part
of FreeBSD later.  But they're not really a necessary part of getting
the machine running, in the same way that the bin distribution is.

I suggest that you take a look at the Installation chapter of the
FreeBSD handbook, which can be found on the FreeBSD Web site:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

If you have any questions after that, you can send them to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, but you'll need to be much more specific
as to what you're trying to do and how.  Saying "it doesn't install"
doesn't give people enough information to help you.

Good luck,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1717173135P

--==_Exmh_1717173135P--