Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:51:42 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
Cc:        tcpdump-workers@tcpdump.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, winpcap@netgroup-serv.polito.it
Subject:   Re: Fwd: kyxtech: freebsd outsniffed by wintendo !!?!?

* Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net> [001207 21:18] wrote:

> (Hurm.... Wintendo outperforming unix???!??  Something's
>  improper about this, and it ought to be fixed...  :-)
>  Comments?  Other OS numbers: more recent
>  FreeBSD versions? Solaris? Tru64? Optimization
>  patches? Can those OO MSDN lobotomies actually
>  be good things? Hurm... The Italian gauntlet has
>  been thrown down....   --dr :-)
>
> url: http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/docs/performance.htm

I'm looking at this, FreeBSD seems to better on all accounts except
writing the packets to disk.

Can any of the winpcap people explain exactly how they measured
the disk performance?

The graph's title is:

"WinDump performance" under the section called "WinDump capture
performance".

I'm very curious how they managed to run "windump" on FreeBSD.

I'd also be interested in at least getting a copy of their emulator. :)

Honestly, it really looks like the fault lies with the way tcpdump
writes to disk and not with FreeBSD.