Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 20:36:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert J. Rutter" <rjr@sparks.empath.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will a SB 16 PnP work with FreeBSD?

I had the misfortune to purchase a PnP SB16 and this is what I experienced:
1. It worked with Win95 after I fiddled with the AHA1542 I/O address
   in order to resolve conflicts. The PnP settings were only configurable
   through the SB16's buggy and almost useless PnP software.
2. Reconfiguring the SB16, confused Win95 so badly that I had to
   uninstall, reinstall and reconfigure the SB16 driver manually.
3. The SB16 PnP comes up with everything turned off.  This means
   that the SB16 PnP will not work unless it is initialized by a PnP
   bios or an O/S that recognizes and initializes it.
4. The PnP SB16 will not be recognized by FreeBSD 2.1 unless it is
   initialized by a PnP bios or O/S after a cold start.
5. This was confirmed after being put on hold for 1/2 hour (at my
   expense) by Soundblastard support.
6. After wasting many hours and days of my time with PnP stupidities
   I took the card back to where I bought it and swapped it for an
   older SB16 with jumpers.
7. After changing one jumper and setting the IRQ with software I
   had the NON-PnP SB16 up and running with both Win95 and FreeBSD
   in less than an hour each.

Moral of this story... Just say NO to PnP.