Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2017 22:15:18 -0500
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To:        Jeffrey Bouquet <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
Cc:        current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unsure about buildworld

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 01:58:58PM -0700, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
> Used rsync to put /usr/src/.svn to
>                             /usr2/src/.svn [another disk]
> did an svn up of that          ^^

Is there some reason (e.g., documentation) to believe that will
result in a stable and self-consistent checkout?

> # sh
> export CC=/usr/local/bin/clang39    # and the two others

I don't think that's the correct variable(s) to set to use an
external compiler.

> cd /usr2/src
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr2/obj -DNO_PROFILE ... buildworld.

> which halts on some error
> ranlib -d ... .a
> exec(ranlib) no such file or directory
> Is there a more knowledgeable way of putting both src and obj on a seperate disk
> and having the build complete AND
> be sure where it builds, [ obj ] and the precise way to test an install  [ pre-rsync to the
> production system , so to speak ]    or
> some other *preferred* way,  extract base.txz ...   or even a clean 12.0-CURRENT snapshot
> system to rsync onto the present one...

Building a release and extracting the tarballs is something that
people do, though I don't have any personal experience to recommend
it.

-Ben