Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 04:44:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        trost@cloud.rain.com (Bill Trost)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrared ? (a simple experiment for laptop owners...)

> One concern I have (before getting into the nitty-gritty) is that
> anything "we" do (and I might go dig up an IR transceiver for my desktop
> just to help) be compatible with whatever else might be in use.  Tekram

to that purpose, there is only one answer and it is IrDA.

> (www.tekram.com) makes an IPX IR bridge, and Mac laptops run AppleTalk
> over their IrDA ports.  I would expect the you might actually be able to
> get something out of Apple about what their machines do.

the IrDA specs are available, but the problem as somebody said (i
haven't looked at the specs in full detail) is that IrDA takes a lot of
code to implement. If i understand well what IrDA does, it implements a
full MAC protocol plus probably logical device mux within each node.

I don't have the time to read the docs and write a full implementation,
that's why i was looking at a faster solution.  [I don't even have
the motivation, since i don't have any other IrDA-compliant stuff
around, and my ppp server would be FreeBSD based]

	cheers
	luigi