Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 21:17:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Madison <root@tippy.vnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MBR and 3rd IDE

Hello,

I just installed my 3rd IDE drive (it is very cool to have an up-to-date
mother board that can do such things) and am having trouble installing
the MBR.  Doz boots fine, but BSD doesn't:-(

I used sysinstall to try and rewrite the MBR and it does not seem to
like having to deal with 3 ide drives.  Using the lastest snap-shot boot/
root disks, I can select wd0/1/2 but when I go to set the mount points
I have two wd2 options and a wd1 option.  Going back to the 2.0.5R
boot/root disks I can do what I want and get the option to write the
MBR.  It seems to write it, but it doesn't as evidenced by booting up.

I have the options to go to doz or bsd, but the bsd partition that it
offers is on the first ide drive, which is what I have /usr/local/src
mounted under.

I can boot up with the disk and launch the kernel on my / partition, just
can't get an MBR to write that will the dual boot thing.  I can use all
drives and everything is working fine, except the MBR.

Any help or a * would be appreciated.
thanx
chris
root@tippy.vnet.net          |       Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ