Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:38:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lenny Tropiano <lenny@icus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   restore on FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 core dumps and ends prematurely

I had the unfortunate disaster of two hard disk failures after a bad weather
storm here in Austin, TX.  (Don't buy Quantum Empire 1080s disks!!)  Anyway,
I'm going to get them repaired (under warranty) -- suggestions for
other hard disks would be good!  (Fast SCSI-2, around 1GB in size?)

Anyways -- I had to restore my filesystems from my DDS-2 4mm DAT (Sony)
drive.  I've been using dump to back them up:

eg.

/sbin/dump 0undf 61000 /dev/nrst0 /
[...]

I went to restore and some of the filesystems restored just fine.  Would
complete all the way and then say "set owner/mode for '.' [y/n]?" and
finish just fine.

Some would go and restore lots of files and then say:

Specify next volume #:

Even though it all was "dump'd" to one tape and succeeded just fine.

Of course entering anything here would just not work... if I entered
the same volume number (1) it would SIGSEGV.

I found out the hard way that it didn't restore everything, and of course
left the filemodes of the directories wrong.  I could then restore
interactively (restore ivsf <saveset> /dev/rst0) and then say "add <fn>"
and extract..  It would then find that file, extract it and exit normally.

Suggestions?

I want to move to 2.0.5 (or 2.1) is restore compatible with the dumps
from 1.1.5.1????

--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems             lenny@icus.com |
|                  2301 Spring Wagon Lane, Austin, TX 78728                 |