Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 12:47:44 -0500
From:      Paul MacKenzie <paul@elehost.com>
To:        Arjan van Staalduijnen <A.vanStaalduijnen@nedstat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Couldn't spawn child process - Apache webserver problem on FreeBSD system.

I am still experiencing similar problems with FreeBSD 2.2.6 and Apache 1.3.3

I have tried what seems to be everything with the DAMON in login.conf (and
i did compile the DB afterwards). Then, I went and tried the ULIMIT setting
before starting the program in the BASH shell. This seems to help, but
after 1 week without fail it will eventually die and fall back to the could
not spawn error...

Any suggestions?

should I add more memory (the system has 96MB sdram right now and I start
about 45 servers on the apache to begin with)

any help with diagnosing memory problems would be appreciated

Thanks

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Arjan van Staalduijnen wrote:

> I'm using a system running Apache 1.3.0 and FreeBSD 2.2.6. The
> webserver of this system is reporting internal server errors from time
> to time, and when it is it is reporting loads of them. The server
> errorlogs show the error 'Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't
> spawn child process' for the Perl-script it is trying to execute.

You need to tune the process limits for `daemon' in /etc/login.conf. Poke
around on www.apache.org and in the www.freebsd.org mail archives, there
are instructions for performance-tuning like this.

"Compassion is the only true answer to suffering"