Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:52:16 +0100
From:      Adam Dunkels <adam@sics.se>
To:        "guru chakravarthy" <guruchakravarthy@hotmail.com>, ilugc@aero.iitm.ernet.in, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, molter@tin.it, brandt@fokus.gmd.de
Subject:   Re: how to implement TCP using RAW sockets

On Saturday 03 March 2001 11:39, guru chakravarthy wrote:
> hai
>
> As a final year UG project we are doing implementation of TCP with some
> modifications to it using IP Raw sockets in linux can any one show me some
> help pages   where i can find help  on Raw socket implementation and other
> details .
> Is there any  such implementation help on the net . ?

I would suggest implementing it using the tun network interface (see "man
tun" on FreeBSD). With this, it is possible to read and write packets
directly from and to the kernel. It is also possible to use tcpdump to
inspect the packets on the tun interface. I used this with great success when
implementing the lwIP TCP/IP stack (http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip).

For Linux, the virtual tunneling device at http://vtun.sourceforge.net/
seems to have the same functionality as the BSD tun interface (and more), but
I haven't had the time to test it.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <adam@sics.se>