Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:07:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with new sound code?

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> [ In -stable BTW ]

> > I *just* ran into this myself.  The code that was tagged into the tree
> > by Jordan won't work if it expects poll to be there.
>
> The good news is that if I download your newest bits and modify them
> slightly, they compile fine under -stable.  The box in question is at
> work, so I don't know if it boots and works yet, but I'll know that in
> a bit.  In my quick perusal of the code, it looks like it would be
> *trivial* to fix this under -stable, w/out upgrading to the newest bits,
> which might be a bit too 'rash' for some to roll into stable at this
> late of a date.

	I compiled in Nate's patch, and the kernel compiled and booted
fine. I can play an audio CD using cdcontrol, but when I tried the real
audio player I got horrible screeching noises, and warnings that I didn't
have time to copy down before rebooting. The raplayer worked with the old
drivers, although my volume level control wasn't very good. I think that
the problem with the new drivers might be related to what appears to be a
problem with the high DMA going to the same channel as the low DMA based
on sndstat. High DMA for my card should be on DMA 5.

 1# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (971117) Feb 12 1998 14:55:05
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.12> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1:1

	I don't have any .au files and don't know how to play .wav's or
midi's in FreeBSD (never had a need to previously).

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest