Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2011 23:10:46 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Michal Varga wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 23:33 +0330, Bahman Kahinpour wrote:
> > Does anyone think that having an optional APT system somewhere like in
> > the Ports Collection or ...
>
> You already know where the "..." is, it's called "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD".
>
> I have been told that both its users are perfectly happy with apt-system
> and everything else that accompanies it and then for the rest, there's
> this other thing called "FreeBSD".

This other thing that you mention has two components, the kernel and
basic  utilities, managed by very competent people, and the ports
which covers more than 20 000 various software and gives flesh to the
system. One may very well be reasonably happy with the first component
(hardware support is not always first class, notably for laptops) and
be disappointed by the second component. It may be that Debian/kFreeBSD
will succeed in associating a good kernel to a good userland, depending
on the care offered by the Debian people to this project. I don't think
that grafting apt on the ports system would work as well as in Debian.

--

Michel TALON