Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:02:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "M. Monninger" <markem@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netstat -m

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, M. Monninger wrote:

> Can someone explain (or point me to some info on) the values displayed by
> netstat -m?

Sure.  The number you are want to watch is this one:

32/194 mbuf clusters in use

Those numbers should never get closer than 3/4 of the total mubs in the
system.  I can't find the system default number, but you can set it using
`options "NMBCLUSTERS=xxx"' in your kernel config.  If that is hitting the
limt then strange network things can happen.

> I'm running FBSD 2.2.5 on a old 486 box, using it as a
> gateway/firewall between my home LAN and my xdsl line to my ISP. It's
> dedicated to that function...runs only natd and dhcpc, no users except for
> a console session via the serial port. It works very well except that every
> two or three days it locks up. No console messages or log messages, it just
> freezes, requiring a punch of the reset button.

Check your memory out too, it could be bad.  Or your NIC is unhappy.