Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 13:58:43 -0800
From:      David Carmean <dlc@avtel.net>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
Cc:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with over 133 virutal domains with apache on 2.1.7

On Sun, Mar 16, 1997 at 03:58:32PM -0500, Brian Tao wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, David Langford wrote:
> >
> > When I add my 134'th virtual domain to apache it says it can no
> > longer figure out its hostname and wants me to set ServerName
>
>     You are probably running out of file descriptors (defaults to
> FD_SETSIZE=256 per process) because you have separate access and error
> logs for each virtual domain.  You'll probably have to rebuild your
> kernel with FD_SETSIZE=1024 (or whatever) and recompile Apache with
> that value as well.

I chose to write to a single set of logfiles, and parse out
separate logs only for customers who require them.  I also left
DNS lookups turned off in the server, and had the post-processing
scripts look up hostnames for only customers who required these
as well, and the script also caches a few thousand lookups to speed
things up.

--
David Carmean                                           <dlc@avtel.net>
Avtel Communications, Santa Barbara, CA			+1-805-730-7740