Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:59:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Willoughby <steve@ichips.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wanted/Offered: FreeBSD voice mail system

I've noticed a number of FAX modems on the market now support a voice-mail
system via Windows software (the software runs in the background on the Win
box and stores voicemail on the hard drive (I guess), so when a voice call
comes in, the caller gets the usual answering message played at them ("Press
1 to leave a message for John, 2 for Marsha," etc. and their digitized
message is stored on the computer).

Has anyone considered writing a BSD program to do the same thing, store
voice mail on a FreeBSD box using one of these modems?  I have an application
where this would be very nice, but don't want to dedicate a Windows box when
it could just be a daemon on Unix.  Not to mention the utility of letting
users retrieve their voice mail on any workstation on the net :)

Anyway, if this is not planned or being worked on, I'm willing to volunteer to
do the work myself and contribute the code to FreeBSD.  Assuming I can get
enough information from the modem companies to know the "special commands" to
make the modem do those tricks.

Let me know if there's any interest in this or if any other developers have
hints on how to get technical specs out of modem companies.

--
Steve Willoughby * Intel MD6 | It's said that the only thing scarier than
steve@ichips.intel.com       | a sysadmin with a screwdriver is a programmer