Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:37:31 -0800
From:      Jeremy Sherling <sherlingj@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with sound playback

Hello, I am having a problem with sound playback on FreeBSD 6.2.  I have ha=
d this problem for quite a while, but have not had time to try to figure it=
 out until just now.  (Had it with 6.0 - 6.2)  When I first boot my machine=
, it works great, but after it has been on=0A=
for 24 to 48 hours, the ram usage climbs up until there is about 70=0A=
megs free.  From what I have read, I think this is normal.  (560~ megs=0A=
in inactive)  When the computer gets to this state mp3 playback begins to s=
tutter, getting worse and worse.  top shows 60 - 85% idle.  the machine is =
a 2.0 pentium 4 with a gig of ram.  I am running x.org 7.1 with gnome 2.16,=
 gaim, bitchx, azureus and amarok for mp3 playback.  (mp3s are on a local d=
rive)  Using OSS or ESD for playback doesn't seem to make any difference.  =
I have tried playing mp3s in xmms, and I still get stutters.  I even get st=
uttering in system sounds.  Everything else on the machines seems to be act=
ing normaly.  No weird errors in any logs that I have found.  So, I am wond=
ering if anyone can help me track this down, or if anyone has seen somethin=
g like this before.  Any help would be great!  Let me know if more informat=
ion is needed.Thanks,Jeremy
Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview=