Date:      21 Dec 1999 13:54:49 +0100
From:      Bjorn Danielsson <carbon-unit-1@urquell.pilsnet.sunet.se>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, niels Bakker <p-parties@LISTS.TRANCE.ORG>, technical@hippiesfromhell.org
Subject:   Re: CCD creation (2)

rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hello questions,
>
>   I've come along a bit myself, but am still stuck, at another point
>   now.
>
>   The docs
>   (http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/formatting-media/x205.html) tell me to
>

> # disklabel -e sd0c
> change type to 4.2BSD
>
>   But  when  I  edit  the table presented to me so that type="4.2BSD",
>   save  it,  and  then  re-run  the  disklabel utility (with identical
>   params), the type is listed as "SCSI" instead.
>
>   Consequently, the next command fails;
>
> messenger:/dev # ccdconfig -v ccd0  32 0 /dev/wd0c /dev/wd1c
> ccdconfig: ioctl (CCDIOCSET): /dev/ccd0c: Inappropriate file type or format
>
>   Can someone please gimme a tip on how to solve this?

Don't run disklabel on sd0c, which I assume is your SCSI boot disk.
The disklabels you want to change are on wd0c and wd1c. And then it's
the "fstype" column you change to "4.2BSD", not the "type" line.

So you run disklabel twice:

    disklabel -e wd0c
    disklabel -e wd1c

And both times change the "fstype" column for partition "c" to 4.2BSD.
Don't touch anything else in the file. This should make ccdconfig happy.

--
Björn Danielsson  KTHNOC / Swedish University Network
   (mail me for my real e-mail address)