Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 18:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        matt@lkg.dec.com, julian@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.orgrgrimes@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggested changes to mbuf routines

> In  <199510141119.EAA05158@freefall.freebsd.org> , you wrote:
>
> I find the method of doing the references as done in Digital UNIX
> (aka DEC OSF/1) quite clean.  Basically the m_ext struct gets an
> queue entry added.  When the extended mbuf is first allocated, the
> link queue entry merely points to itself (an empty queue).  As more
> references are made, their queues get linked together.  As references
> are removed, their queues get unlinked.
>
> To see if there is a non-zero reference count, imply see if the queue
> entry points to itself.

ah I was wondering what that was...
I was looking at that in OSF1/i386 and scratching my head about it..
I guess that means that whatever is externally allocated need not have it's own
reference counts..
(unless they are also used elsewhere than for mbufs)
not sure which I prefer..

rod, is this given in the device driver's book?