Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:17:37 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
Cc:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn - but smaller?

On 23 Jan 2013 21:55, "Jeremy Chadwick" <jdc@koitsu.org> wrote:

> (Please keep me CC'd as I'm not subscribed to the list)
>
> > Great idea;
> >
> > http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/svn-static.diff
> >
> > Lev, do you mind if I commit this?  I haven't touched the subversion
> > port, but it'll have you as maintainer :)
> >
> > If you prefer, I don't mind maintaining this.
>
> As I understand it this patch would induce the build cluster to build
> subversion-static.tbz (eventually) and put it on the package servers.
>
> So what happens when one of the underlying dependencies that you've
> included statically (those would possibly be: Oracle/SleepyCat DB, APR,
> expat, sqlite3, neon, gettext, and iconv) have security holes or major
> bugs found/addressed in them?

The package would be updated on the next build, since a dependency changed.

> As I understand it -- based on history -- the packages on the FTP
> servers get updated "whenever".  My other post shows some haven't been
> updated in months (and yes I'm aware of the security incident).

That's why, so for normal use it's irrelevant.

> So how long would a key piece of software containing insecure
> statically-linked libraries be on the FTP servers?

No longer than any other package.

> How would the port maintainer(s) even know the libraries/software which
> subversion is dependent upon had been updated, thus requiring a new
> subversion package to be pushed out to the package servers ASAP (i.e.
> immediately, not days, weeks, or months)?
>
> My point: ports have always been "best-effort".  They are advertised
> vehemently throughout "everything FreeBSD" as being third-party software
> and therefore <infinite list of caveats>.  Yet now critical pieces to
> FreeBSD development (and now end-users too, as a result of using the
> security incident to push SVN) rely upon something in ports.  That's
> quite a conundrum the Project has created for itself, an ouroboros of
> sorts.

This is not intended as general use for everyone, it's intended as a
shortcut when building a new machine or anything else.  I'll put a big
warning in pkg message :)

Chris