Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:04:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd bugs (was: Kernel hacker tasks seek interested hackers)

Matthew Dillon writes:
 >     This is very odd.  I use several multi-disk ccd stripes, including one at
 >     BEST across three 18G drives (one 54G partition!).  I've never had a
 >     problem.
 >
 >     I believe that at some point in the past 'newfs' and 'fsck' had overflow
 >     problems, but those were fixed.

Ditto.  We have a pair of scratch servers, each with a ccd stripe
across 4 16GB IDE drives on Promise IDE cards(using the new ata
driver).  They're both running -current from about 2 months ago, and
both have behaved flawlessly.

Btw, they really perform well too, even when interoperating with NFS
clients from other vendors.  They can take NFSv3 writes from an
Ultrasparc at nearly 100Mb/s wire speed. (10MB/sec).  Try that w/linux ;-)

Its really a shame we don't have NFS locking.  If we had NFS
server-side locking, we'd probably convert our home directories
servers to FreeBSD servers with Vinum Raid-5.  As it is, we're going
to have to go with Solaris.  Its really a shame, because on the same
hardware, FreeBSD (w/Vinum Raid-5) runs circles around Solaris'
disksuite software Raid-5.

Drew