Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dennis Glatting <dg@pki2.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS HBAs with >8 ports?

I am looking for a fairly dense HBA for a ZFS system. I currently use LSI
2008 chip sets but the boards (e.g., 9211-8i) are limited to eight disks
and I have twenty four disks, consuming four of my six MB slots. With two
other cards, that leaves me no empty slots.

I looked at the 9280-24i4e (I also need an external interface) but it
appears MegaRAID+LSI-2108 /does not/ support JBOD, but that is also
unclear. One of a few notes in LSI's configuration guide hints:

   NOTE Integrated MegaRAID displays new drives as Just a Bunch of Disks
   (JBOD). For MegaRAID, unless the inserted drive contains valid DDF
   metadata, new drives display as JBOD. Rebuilds start only on
   Unconfigured Good drives, so you have to change the new drive state from
   JBOD to Unconfigured Good to start a rebuild.

That's far from a decleration of useful JBOD and I've seen the term
"JBOD" to mean different things.

Do you know of a fairly dense card known to be useful for ZFS? Can you
comment on the 9280-24i4e?