Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 02:24:58 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Andrew Thompson <andy@fud.org.nz>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPF & IPFW

On Saturday 01 February 2003 1:38 am, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:17:10PM +0000, ian j hart wrote:
> >>On Friday 31 January 2003 10:25 pm, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> >>

> >>Thank you for the info. I guess it's OK that I forward
> >>this info to the maintainer of the above mentioned
> >>FAQ.
> >>
> >>regards
> >>Claus
> >>

> >>Har du problemer med din hjemmecomputer? F? hj?lp med Yahoo!s PC-support
> >> p? http://dk.shopping.yahoo.com/pcsupport/index.html
> >>

> >>OTOH if you only need ipnat and not ipfilter you can do this...
> >>
> >>Don't compile in ipf. Turn on ipnat in rc.conf it will run after all the
> >> ipfw rules.
> >>
> >>I use this to "fix-up" packet source addreses.
> >>
> >>e.g. (warning from memory)
> >>map rl0 from <my-ip>/32 to any port 25 -> <alias-ip>/32
> >>
> >>So outgoing email traffic appears to come from the alias IP.
> >>[Don't ask, you don't want to know].
> >
> >ipf(8) and ipnat(8) are the userland commands to interface with the
> >same code in the kernel. You can't separate them. If you define
> >IPFILTER in your kernel configuration, you get both, even if you only
> >use one. If you load ipf.ko, you get both, even if you use only one.
> >ipnat(8) occurs before ipfw(8) for incoming and after ipfw(8) for
> >outgoing whether or not you are using ipf(8) rules.
> >
> >Packets get passed to "IPFilter-in-the-kernel" (the kernel code that
> >both ipf(8) and ipnat(8) talk to) one place in ip_input.c and once in
> >ip_output.c. The only way to change that is modify the code in those
> >two. (Well, you might be able do do something with tunnels to get the
> >effects, but it's still true for each step of the tunnel(s).)
>
> Thanks everyone for your help,
>
> The bit I was having trouble with was doing two transparent proxies
> depending if the user had logged in or not, one to squid, the other to a
> static page telling them to log in.  I have actually reworked my ipfw
> rules so I dont need ipf anymore and its all working.  :)
>
> This thread can be dropped unless you all want to discuss the ordering
> more.  IMHO Christ is right.

Who's arguing?

Your original query was not specific enough.
=
I am writing an app to do pre-pay internet and are using a combination
of ipf and ipfw.  I stupidly assumed that ipfw ran before ipf, of course
its the other way around.  This has put a hurdle in my design, is there
an easy way to change the order of the two? or do I need to redesign :(
=

All I was pointing out is a "loophole". If source address munging is what
you wanted, I'd have been right :))

--
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)